18 October 2020

Musical Language — Ottawa International Writers' Festival

 The Ottawa International Writers' Festival has been just about the best friend my writing life has had, starting way back in the late '80s when they brought me in to pinch-hit for Eden Robinson, who had to cancel her festival appearance at the 11th hour. The Ottawa gang gave me some great breaks early on in the trade-book phase of my career and has continued to be supportive. Amid the corporatization of just about everything in the arts, they have managed to maintain a great grass-roots personal approach to celebrating literature. Always grateful to Sean, Kira, Neil, Thea, and the whole OIWF crew.

Tonight, I am part of a fantastic project: three composers were invited to write works in response to books by three very different authors, and this evening the SHHH!! Ensemble will perform those musical responses, and the authors and composers will be in discussion.

You can get free tickets right here:

The composers are Noora Nakhaei, Kevin Reeves, and Adam Saikaley, who wrote a two-movement piece in response to my book Motel of the Opposable Thumbs. The other two writers are involved are Maria Reva and my dear friend Martha Baillie.

Check out the SHHH!! Ensemble's website right here.


I am so very lucky to have had so many great opportunities for collaboration.

Hope you can join in!

Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home