24 November 2014

2014 Indie Literary Market: amazing (also, the stuff I acquired)

OK, I was going to write a lot this morning about last Saturday's Indie Literary Market, but I'm bludgeoned with deadlines and I'm exhausted. Just this to say for now: it was perhaps one of the best small-press events I've ever been to. I think the Meet the Presses approach of actually curating the market is brilliant (especially since I thought of it). Every one of those 30 or so tables had fascinating and exciting stuff on it.

Also wonderful was the ceremony for the bpNichol Chapbook Award. Christine Leclerc won it with Oilywood, from Nomados Press. Her acceptance speech, delivered by Elizabeth Ross, was beautiful. The whole darn thing was class and quirky and small pressy and wonderful. The prize is now worth $4,000, thanks to an anonymous donor, and the winning press gets $500, thanks to an annual donation by Brian Dedora and Jim Smith.

Everything just seemed to come together on Saturday. But I wish I'd had more time to go to the other tables. I missed some amazing things. Here's what I got, though. Pretty nice bounty:

Gary Barwin, the wild & unfathomable ways (Xerolage, 2014)
Sarah Burgoyne, Love the Sacred Raisin Cakes (Baseline Press, 2014)
Angela Carr, Here in There (BookThug, 2014)
Victor Coleman, David Peter Clark, Oliver Cusimano, Harvard House (shuffaloff/Eternal Network, 2014)
Dennis Denisoff, Jonathan Rollins, Dale Smith, White Wall Review 38 (2014)
Avonlea Fotheringham, doing & undoing (phafours, 2014)
Terence Go, Ungh (Go-T pro-duck-shuns, 2007)
Karl Jirgens, ed., Rampike Vol. 23/No. 2 (2014)
Lorette C. Luzajic, Fascinating Artists: twenty-five unusual lives (Idea Fountain, 2014)
Sina Queyras, MxT (Coach House, 2014)
Stan Rogal, After Words (Guernica Editions, 2014)
Stan Rogal, Obsessions (Leaping Lion Books, 2014)
Samuel Snoek-Brown, Box Cutters (Sunnyoutside Press, no date)
William Taylor Jr., The Blood of a Tourist (Sunnyoutside Press, 2014)
Conan Tobias, ed., Taddle Creek 30 (2013)

Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home