23 October 2013

You Exist. Details Follow. shortlisted for the 2013 Award for People's Poetry!

Well, here's a shortlist I never would have expected to be on! It's worth a medallion and 500 bucks. The Award for People's Poetry, says the official website, "is awarded annually to a Canadian poet, based on a book published in the previous calendar year. The work should follow in the tradition of Acorn, Livesay, Purdy, Plantos and others by being accessible to all people in its use of language and image."

Being accessible is something I've always wanted, though lately I'm more determined that my audience come meet me more than halfway. But I'm thrilled to be part of this list, and to know that my work might appeal to a broad audience. 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 
The Acorn-Plantos Committee is pleased to announce the short list of those authors under consideration for the 2013 Award for People's Poetry. They are, in alphabetical order: 
TERRY ANN CARTER (day moon rising, Black Moss Press)
CHRIS HUTCHINSON (A Brief History of the Short-lived, Nightwood Editions)
KEVIN IRIE (Viewing Tom Thomson, A Minority Report, Frontenac House)
JOHN B. LEE (Let Us Be Silent Here, Sanbun Publishers)
STUART ROSS (You Exist. Details Follow., Anvil Press)
TOM WAYMAN (Dirty Snow, Harbour Publishing)
We extend our congratulations and best wishes. The winner will be announced in November , 2013.
It'd be sweet to win this prize, but I'm very happy just to have made the shortlist.

Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home