07 February 2008

Shirley Ross


Today is my mom's birthday. She would have been 79. Wow.

Here she is with my dad, Sydney. Around 1950, I think.

She didn't always get what I was up to, or get my writing, or get the decisions I made. But she was always supportive.

She herself was a pioneer in our suburban Jewish enclave in the early 1960s. The first of her friends to start up her own business, a little gift shop in our basement that led to her career as a self-taught interior decorator. She had chutzpah. She was creative.

I love you, Mom. (She must read my blog, right?)

Shirley Ross, February 7, 1929 - April 21, 1995

2 Comments:

At February 07, 2008 7:37 pm , Blogger gary barwin said...

Actually she just left a post on my blog to say that she's proud of you.

But really, I remember seeing both your parents at a performance, oh about twenty years ago, I think it was the Music Gallery. They had a distinct low key 'kvelling' look.

 
At February 27, 2008 1:32 am , Blogger Mark McCawley said...

So it's all "her" fault...

Just kidding, there's no doubt enough blame to go around...

As I have told my own son on more than one occasion, he is my best revenge against the future.

As were you, and are...

Make 'em proud, Stuart.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home