07 July 2007

bill, d.a., chemical, alfred, kootenay moolah, this

Rox writes to tell me that bill bissett has been sampled by the Chemical Brothers. It's from his recording of "Ode to d.a. levy." It's over here. And there's a nice little article from The Guardian aquĆ­ mismo. This is pretty cool. Up there with Nelson Ball gettin' the nod from Sonic Youth. Actually, Nelson getting the nod from Sonic Youth is cooler.

* * *

And, unrelatedly, this a nice little poem by a favourite of mine (who Rox would love), New Jersey poet Arthur Starr Hamilton:

SKY

Why didn't you say an inkstand
Why didn't you say all of this was for the blue sky
Why didn't you say a sheet of writing paper was for a cloud
It's from a little book of his called The Big Parade (The Best Cellar Press, 1982). Hamilton died in 2005.

* * *

I'd like to note that the Oxygen Art Centre in Nelson, B.C., sent me $45, my share of the door from that reading I did in the spring. I griped here about not getting paid when they were asking $10 at the door. It was very decent of them to fix everythin' up. Now my memories of that event can be 100 percent positive.

* * *

The new issue of This Magazine is on the stands. I'm really pleased with the Fiction & Poetry section (well, I always am, since I edit it). The summer issue features a great short story by Sarah Steinberg, a Montreal writer living at the moment in Washington, D.C., and three awesome bear poems by bear enthusiast, Patchy operative, and dear friend Dani Couture.

Over and out.

2 Comments:

At July 08, 2007 1:04 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're right. i love that pome. thanks
for that. glad you got your money.
at times poetry is squeezing
blood from a heartless
petrified turnip
chimera
what

 
At July 08, 2007 5:05 am , Blogger Linda Crosfield said...

Phew. Been wondering.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home