30 May 2007

Tonight: McFadden!

Why Are You So Sad? Selected Poems of David McFadden is finally out from Insomniac Press, and the launch is tonight, 7 p.m., at the Dora Keogh Pub, 141 Danforth. Also being launched is Roseanne Carrara's A Newer Wilderness.

The McFadden book is 320 pages and features extensive notes on the poems by the author, a practice he's employed in many of his previous books. It's a blast. And he was amazing to work with. Maddening but amazing. For me, it was a dream to edit the Selected of my favourite Canadian poet, a guy I've been reading since, as a teenager, I stumbled on A Knight in Dried Plums at Bathurst Heights Library.

While many regard Dave as a very important poet, I don't think he's ever received the accolades he deserves. For example, no GG. I'm hoping that this hefty book brings him a lot more attention and wins him all sorts of new readers.

*****

It's been a busy time since I returned from BC. A small but really fun Boot Camp a couple weekends ago. A fantastic Fictitious Reading by Gary Barwin and Maggie Helwig on Sunday night — with great attendance, too. And the Small Press Book Fair on Saturday was a really good one: I sold lots, I got to visit with the divine Sandra on the eve of her departure for Scotland, saw heaps of old friends (always a highlight of the fair).

This Sunday I'm leading a prose-editing seminar at This Ain't the Rosedale Library, if registration steps up a bit. Details in the column to the right.

Over and out.

2 Comments:

At June 04, 2007 11:46 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stu,

Congratulations on the release! I know how passionately you've worked on it. Looking forward to getting a copy.

 
At June 07, 2007 3:17 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuart, I'm about 30 poems in. You introduction is terrific, just right for the collection. And the poems are so great. Congratulations and thanks for completing such an excellent project.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home