27 April 2006

Me on Bravo, mountain goats, and my pal Kev

Some things:

On April 27, the Heart of a Poet episode about me airs on Bravo, at 8 pm. Not sure if that's across Canada, or just in Ontario. The folks who made the show had promised to let me know when it's on TV, but they've failed miserably: I haven't been told of a single airing, though it's been on several different stations across the country. Anyways, I haven't actually watched the whole episode, but the fragments of it I saw seemed pretty well done: except for the cheesey jazz music they added behind my readings.

Other episodes feature Sandra Alland (I saw that one: it was good, though it packaged Sandra in a convenient way), bill bissett, and Christian Bök.

What else? Oh yeah, I just heard today that Kevin Connolly won the Trillium Award for Poetry! That's incredibly exciting. Man, he deserved it. No one in this country is doing what he does in Drift. His poetry is so smart and weird and often funny.

What else? Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: on the to Kimberley, I saw mountain goats on the Salmo-Creston Pass: dozens of them. It was pretty cool, even though I was concentrating on not driving off the edge of the precipice. On the way over the pass, I listened to Joanna Newsom. Very soothing. On the way back from Kimberley, I listened to Neil Diamond. Very inspiring, but a terrible version of Randy Newman's "I Think It's Going to Rain Today." And a very surreal version of "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother."

What else? Oh yeah, I'm back in New Denver. Worked on my novel a lot today. Read the first few chapters to Jeff and Alison on Monday night -- which brought to my awareness all these new problems. But Jeff and Alison seemed to like what they heard. Maybe there's hope for it yet. Terry is being really supportive of me here: giving me this space and calm in which to write.

What else? Oh yeah, I better get to sleep. And dream of mountain goats leaping over glaciers.

Over and out.

2 Comments:

At April 27, 2006 4:16 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogg - that's awesome about Kevin Connolly winning the Trillium. I look forward to reading it when it reaches the non-existent bookstore in Vancouver that carries new poetry.

CB

 
At May 01, 2006 9:42 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the very tail end of your television showcase. I was channel surfin and heard a familiar voice, low and behold it was you reading a poem. It felt strange watching you on TV after I talked about stalking you.

dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home