13 March 2006

A hermaphrodite cat

My friend Mako has just found out that one of his three cats is a hermaphrodite. That's pretty amazing. A hermaphrodite cat. There may be a lot of interest among vets, circuses, and readers of NOW's adult classifieds.

Mako and I have been friends since high school. We both attended an alternative school in North York. He was into Bob Seger and Ted Nugent, and I was into Joe Jackson and Ian Dury. He was a cool guy with a girlfriend; I was a freak who had never been on a date. We once went to a cemetery at midnight and put a tape recorder on a grave, wondering if we would hear scratching noises and faint cries of "Let me out...." We invented a triangular turntable called the Rosaka 3000. For history class, with our favourite teacher, Carl, we created a talk show called Let's Talk History, and made cassette tapes of episodes instead of writing essays. I still remember the poignant Let's Talk History theme music.

Now Mako's a documentary filmmaker, and I'm a writer. Well, I was a writer back then too. In high school, he wrote plays. And they were good ones -- imbued with the drama of his family, and influenced probably by Pinter.

* * *

So, I'm reading this book now called Dr. Delicious. It's the memoir of Robert Lecker, who used to run ECW's Montreal office. I like Robert. He's a bristly, obsessive, funny, curious guy. He used to give me lots of freelance editing work, and he once gave me a $1500 advance to write a novel. I ended up writing a book of poetry, and he asked for the $1500 back "ASAP." But he has always been so supportive of me. I get two mentions in his book, and they're both pretty nice mentions. I'm only about 20 pages into it, but I'm liking it: he consciously decided to break out of his professor persona and go nuts with writing. Will it be of interest to anyone who was not once an ECW author? I dunno.

* * *

Lots more to catch up on in this blog, but I better get some work done today. I've begun the horrendous and seemingly endless task of cleaning/organizing my tiny apartment. I know that once that is done, the world will weigh far less.

Over and out.

3 Comments:

At March 13, 2006 5:19 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i knew this cool hermaphrodite
cat from philly who blew a mean
saxophone in a downtown joint
frequented by mad dogs and jarheads
fresh from the hellhole of war

his music there was often angry
angular and suitably obtuse
sometimes foggy and bureaucratic
occasionally dirty or suggestive
but never ever sexually confused

once in a while on the wildest nights
with both heaving chest and horn
he wailed over the fury of his state
barked and howled at the moon
stopped time and rocked into space

 
At March 14, 2006 6:19 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh*
....Lucky cat.


--KATe

 
At March 14, 2006 10:57 pm , Blogger Kate S. said...

I don't know Lecker and I have no connection to ECW press but I've been looking forward to "Dr. Delicious" ever since I read about it on Vehicule's website. I'm glad to hear that you're liking it. I will definitely snap up a copy when it hits the bookstores.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home