15 March 2006

Angel Hair, oh Angel Hair

Delayed the start of my three-night workshop on the New York School of Poetry until next week. Glad I did, because I just found a copy of the Angel Hair Anthology, which is packed with all sorts of stuff I can use for the workshop. It's packed with poetry by Ashbery, Berkson, Fagin, Clark, Denby, Guest, Waldman, Warsh, Padgett, Brainard, and more. Plus a bunch of capsule memoirs that should be particularly useful.

I also found a remaindered copy of All Poets Welcome: The Lower East Side Poetry Scene in the 1960s. I already have a copy, but I'd lost the excellent CD of readings that comes with it.

Going to be a fun workshop. A few spaces still left open!

I also dug up the current issue of Jubilat, one of my favourite American litmags, at Mirvish Books On Art, today. This issue has stuff by Raymond Roussel, Juliana Spahr, Robert Fitterman, and some other pretty interesting people. I think maybe I'll submit some poems to them. Been a long while before I've sent something to the U.S.

On the topic of submissions, Conan at Taddle Creek wrote me that he and his co-ed have reconsidered my poetry submissions, and want to use a poem of mine called "I Open the Lid." I'm glad.

Also picked up the new issue of Rampike, which contains my short story "Bouncing." Proud of that. Nice to be in Rampike again. I mean, Rampike is a real crazy grab bag, but it has so much personality. It has Karl Jirgens' personality.

As I'm putting together this new manuscript of poetry, I should make a push to get pieces into magazines first, so they get that extra life before the book.

Didn't take long for Sam Solecki to reject me for the Jack McClelland Writer in Residence position I applied for. Terse little fucking email. I mean, not that I was expecting to get the gig.

I have CNN on in the background right now. Bad habit to reacquaint myself with. I really want Bush to be impeached, but if it happens, I'll become absolutely readdicted to TV news. Impeach Sam Solecki!

Over and out.

3 Comments:

At March 16, 2006 1:38 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

my blog is mysteriously down, has been for a couple days, and so i wandered over to yours for a visit. i think its a conspiracy because i posted about my nefarious vertical blind fixing activities. even though i cant spell conspiricy. ocy. this mispelling is just so thier bots dont spot me over here, and shut down this post. so , hi stuart! i am waving!

 
At March 16, 2006 10:36 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder what lou dobbs looks like in the shower. does he sing to himself or practice his talking head voice? is he a bar or a liquid soap man? i'll bet he uses the 2 in 1 shampoo/ conditioner combo. maybe lou dobbs doesn't shower at all. perhaps he has a luxious spa off his master bedroom where he floats and studies how many mexicans are sneaking across the border, or the blight of american jobs going overseas. i wonder if lou dobbs has been to india. does he turn on on the spa jets or simply enjoy a quiet soak? the characters on the soap opera of cnn are wonderful inspiration. hey, whatever became of lynn russell? was she really related to jane?

 
At March 17, 2006 12:29 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not a tan -- that's the glow you only get from scrubbing with brillo pads and ajax. Most mornings, as I am engaged in my sanitary regiment, I can be heard muttering things I would never say on the air.

Lou "DEY TUK UR JABS!" Dobbs

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home