05 December 2005

Mmm, curry. Mmm, peanut.

The first installment of The Fictitious Reading Series was a success last night. We had 20 or so people there, which fairly fills up the gallery above This Ain't the Rosedale Library. Harold Johnson and Heather Birrell both gave solid, absorbing readings, and Kate did a great job in the post-reading "onstage chat." I was scared that much of the audience would leave during the second break (before the chat), but most stayed and seemed to enjoy themselves.

One thing I noticed: when I go to a poetry reading, I feel like somebody is giving a poetry reading. At an all-fiction reading like this, well, it felt like someone was reading to me. Next time perhaps I'll wear my pyjamas.

Oh yeah, and we had a manual typewriter there! People were encouraged to contribute a sentence or two to a collaborative fiction piece. Only about five sentences by night's end, but it was pretty fun reading it. Shelagh Rowan-Legg, who wasn't able to make it to the reading, very generously loaned us the typewriter. It was strange: it typed in something an 18-point sans-serif face. And you had to hit the keys so hard. Now I want a manual typewriter again.

In the new year, we're changing venues to a place that has food and booze. Otherwise the This Ain't space would have been ideal: it's an amazing place for intimate events. But I think we'll get a broader audience in a licensed place.

Tomorrow morning, early, I'm off to New York. My evenings there are busy already, with readings, social visits, and perhaps a get-together of some Little Criminals (from the Randy Newman listserv). Gotta make good use of the days too: book-shopping of course, and maybe a visit to a publisher or two, just for the heck of it. Oh, and I want to go to the Whitney. And have some fries at that incredible Frites joint on 2nd Avenue, where they have about 50 different toppings. Mmm, curry. Mmm, peanut.

Got a turn-down for the Works-in-Progress grant from the Ontario Arts Council today. Luckily, there was almost no one on the list of successful applicants who made me gnash my teeth. Reminds me that I've got to get my Writer's Reserve applications out there already. I'm probably too late as it is.

Well, that's what I'd better go and do. That, plus the laundry.

Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home