10 August 2005

The bravest woman in the USA

On July 19, I blogged about a brief email exchange I had with an American woman whose son had been killed in Iraq. She had been writing rawly but effectively and strongly about Bush's sick policies and I wrote her a letter of support.

Today, that woman, Cindy Sheehan, is holding a sit-in near Bush's Crawford ranch and she refuses to leave until he comes out to speak with her, or until he returns to Washington after his 5-week vacation while people are getting blown to bits in Iraq, or until she is arrested. Right now, the latter scenario looks most likely.

People are streaming in from all over the U.S. to support Sheehan, whose son Casey, was killed in Iraq in 2004. She's an incredibly brave and resourceful woman. And I marvel at what one woman is capable of doing. If more and more people in the U.S. stood up like she has done, the world would change.

Over and out.

2 Comments:

At August 10, 2005 11:02 am , Blogger dfb said...

hi stu - i saw this woman on the blue new (ABC) a couple of nights ago - very brief – but on the 6:30 news. i thought it was strange because they NEVER cover any anti war protests on the nightly new. guess bush can’t kill her now. oh and bush’s comment was something like he was looking forward to the troops coming home – once the mission is accomplished

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/28/mission.accomplished/

love

dfb

 
At August 15, 2005 8:33 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stu & dfb-

Cindy Sheehan offers some inspiration for despairing poets everywhere, whether they're mothers or not.

"I encourage and challenge every citizen to do one thing for peace each day."
- Cindy Sheehan, Riverside Church NYC, 4/4/05

"I can hear my son's presence,
I can hear him whisper in my ear:
'Finish my mission, mom.'"
- Cindy Sheehan, Riverside Church NYC, 4/4/05

"Casey my son and my hero, Dr. King my other hero."
- Cindy Sheehan, Riverside Church NYC, 4/4/05

“I have to wonder for the rest of my life if the gun which took Casey’s life was sold to Saddam by the U.S. or by Britain. We sold him weapons and were once his friend — we made him… We need to get our troops out of Iraq. The only reason Bush wants to stay there is because his buddies are getting rich and feasting off the blood of our children.”
- Cindy Sheehan (summer 2005).

dwm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home