19 January 2010

I don't want to read another fucking limerick!

The poems for Rogue Stimulus: The Stephen Harper Holiday Anthology for a Prorogued Parliament are pouring in, with just an hour to go before the deadline. My co-editor on this project, Stephen Brockwell, was on CBC's As It Happens tonight, and somehow that triggered a friggin' avalanche of limericks. Well, actually, tons of limericks and other doggerel were already dropping into the harper@mansfieldpress.net inbox.

We've received about 200 poems so far, from all across Canada. And really, I don't want to read another limerick. Though I do think it's telling that Stephen Harper would inspire these sordid little rhymes.

It does amaze me, though, that doggerel is still what comes to mind when a huge portion of Canadian think of poetry.

There have been some amazing poems in the inbox, too, and by some very fine poets. Some I've heard of and some I haven't. It's going to be a great anthology, and I will never have to read another limerick. You can't make me!

Over and out.

1 Comments:

At February 03, 2010 8:26 am , Anonymous Vincent Ponka said...

Stuart,

Saw this in the National Post. Note at the bottom of the story two Post writers offer up some poems and one of them is indeed a limerick! The other two are painful haiku...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=2457322

Vincent

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home