23 June 2008

Owen



OWEN JAY ROSS, 1954-2000

I remember when Owen raced out the front door to get a kid who had bullied me back when we lived on Pannahill Road.

I remember how excited Owen got when he talked about coaching little-league baseball. That was his greatest pleasure.

I remember, at his funeral, all these kids showing up wearing baseball uniforms. The rabbi had never seen anything like that before.

I remember Owen disappearing for as much as a year at a time, but we were always back to being family when he showed up again.

I remember Owen always saying "Out" in response to "Where are you going?"

I remember Owen lurching towards me, dragging his feet along the carpet in the den, his finger held out as he threatened to give me a shock on the nose.

I remember watching wrestling with Owen and Grandpa: the Fabulous Kangaroos, the Love Brothers, Crybaby Cannon, Haystack Calhoun, Lord Athol Layton, Dewey Robertson (my favourite), and the Sheik and Abdulla Farouk. When the Sheik appeared on the screen, Grandpa would spit.

I remember Owen and I betting pennies on the horse races — the trots and the flats — and checking the results in the Star every day. Later, Owen owned a horse, but it didn't do real well at the track.

I remember Owen making himself a salami sandwich at midnight and how much care he took in the slicing.

I remember that Owen did not smoke and did not drink and did not ever try drugs.

I remember getting lost at the synagogue and wandering home on the day of Owen's bar mitzvah.

I remember, when our mom died, Owen hugging me, a rare occurrence when we were adults.

I remember Owen giving me a mug with a picture of his race horse on it, perhaps the only gift from him I still have. Today I will drink my morning tea from it.

Miss you, Owen.

xo

4 Comments:

At June 23, 2008 9:58 am , Blogger Evie Christie said...

"Out"--I love that


xo

Evie

 
At January 31, 2009 11:10 am , Blogger Marty said...

Hi, Owen was one of my very best friends back in the day. Many wonderful memories. Whether it be the many road hockey games, bicycling through the "Manor" on our one speed bikes, baseball cards with clothes-pins creating that wonderful sound.

Walking to school together, the whole 1/20 of a mile. The street constantly filled with the sounds of one game or another being played. Until the street lights came on, our signal to come home.

I remember your grandpa. I remember shaggy Rufus. Sadly, as does happen, we lost touch. I had not heard of his passing until some time later. He is still in my thoughts. As are the rest of your family. Neighbours & friends for about 10-12 years. With warm regards to you all. Marty

 
At January 31, 2009 11:12 am , Blogger Marty said...

Hi, Owen was one of my very best friends back in the day. Many wonderful memories. Whether it be the many road hockey games, bicycling through the "Manor" on our one speed bikes, baseball cards with clothes-pins creating that wonderful sound.

Walking to school together, the whole 1/20 of a mile. The street constantly filled with the sounds of one game or another being played. Until the street lights came on, our signal to come home.

I remember your grandpa. I remember shaggy Rufus. Sadly, as does happen, we lost touch. I had not heard of his passing until some time later. He is still in my thoughts. As are the rest of your family. Neighbours & friends for about 10-12 years. With warm regards to you all.

Marty

 
At January 31, 2009 11:20 am , Blogger Razovsky said...

Hi, I almost ever write in my own Comments section, but wow, thank you SO much for this note, Marty! Is this Marty from across the road? Stevie's brother?

Oh, man, those baseball cards on the bicycle spokes!

Can you drop me an email at hunkamooga@sympatico.ca.

All best to you and I hope you're well (whichever Marty you are!)

Stuart

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home