26 April 2007

I'm being danced in Halifax

OK, so I think I mentioned recently that Halifax choreographer (and scientist!) Lisa Phinney came across my goofy poem "Three Scoops, Waffle Cone" a few years back and wrote me a little fan letter about it. That was really nice. Well, now she's created a short dance piece entitled "Hell's Inventory" inspired by that poem, and it's seeing its first performances in a couple of weeks.

Here are the details:

The Young Company of Halifax Dance
Friday May 11th, 2007, 8:00 pm
Saturday May 12th, 2007, 8:00 pm
Sir James Dunn Theatre, Dalhousie Arts Centre
6101 University Ave, Halifax, NS
(902) 494-3820 or 1-800-874-1669 for tickets


Hell’s Inventory

Choreography: Lisa Phinney
Performers: Emma Kerson, Bridget Lappin, Bhreagh MacDonald
Music: Track 10 by Kevin Breit; Little White Lie by Erik Moll (edited); Exclamation Mark! by Andrea Parker (edited)
Text: Poem “Three Scoops, Waffle Cone” by Stuart Ross; additional text from the dancers' experiences
Costumes: Rachael Grant
Lighting: Marcel Boulet
Set Design: Lisa Phinney
Understudies: Ellie Wedlake, Meghan Bebbington, Kayla Mallery

******************************************

Oh, and here's the poem. The title, incidentally, is by Kevin Connolly. He gave it to me during a month-long title exchange back in the 1990s.

THREE SCOOPS, WAFFLE CONE

When they took inventory
in hell
Velda thought maybe
Garrett
had took
some paper clips.

A few years back, this poem also appeared in Toronto subway cars and buses as part of the Poetry on the Way programme. I was stunned that they'd choose such a weird-ass poem. Before they printed up the posters, they checked with me to make sure the grammatical error in the second-last line was intentional.

I can't dance.

Over and out.

1 Comments:

At April 26, 2007 2:57 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sooooooooo cool
classic stuart ross poetry
ungrammatical dancing
is my favourite kind

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home