27 April 2006

I otter know better

OK, so on Sunday, on the way to Kimberley, I stopped off for a bit of lunch in Nelson, and to pay respects to Hipperson's Hardware, of David McFadden fame, and to pop into Otter Books. So I checked out the poetry in Otter, and the sale shelves, and then I bought a collection of short stories by James Salter.

When I paid, I gave the woman at the cash a copy of the little poetry leaflet I prepared for this trip (a poem called "Coup," which I wish I'd named "Coup Tinny). She looked at it and said, "We just sold a book of yours." I looked astonished, and she added, "Hey, Crumbling Balcony! Just 20 minutes ago." Then she checked her till and said it was "two transactions ago."

OK, that's a pretty weird coincidence. I mean, during the hour that I'm in Nelson this year, someone buys my book, and I don't even have any events happening in Nelson. The Otter woman said, "People know you here." Geez.

Of course, as I walked down the main street later, I watched for people with Otter Books bags, figuring I'd accost them and tell them to hurry and get their money back!

Over and out

2 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 1:52 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

clearly a complete coincidence!

a complete coincidence!

a total fluke!

who'd guess?!??!

 
At May 04, 2006 1:36 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

every moment is a coincidence waiting to happen.
or is that an accident? or there are no accidents?
just mistakes in the guise of coincidences. i mean fate in karma's clothing. or a whale of a fluke. a conspiracy of flukes. a coincidence of comspiracies. all accidents waiting for the bus. complete in their own inevitable kismet. destiny's offspring in fall. the destiny of coincidence is chance. what are the odds? insurmountable? i think not.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home