24 October 2005

Go, Badgers!

Was blessedly able to sleep in. Met Dana for lunch at a great little veggie place called Get Real near her gallery. Checked on this new used bookstore called Babel, on Ossington near Queen. It was incredible, and I bought a whole lotta stuff: a poetry book by Sharon Olds, a poetry book by Joe Rosenblatt, an autobiography of Sam Fuller, and a documentary DVD called Shanghai Ghetto. It's so great to find an excellent used bookstore I haven't been to before. It's so nice that there are options other than the Neo-Nazi-friendly BMVs.

At home: did some grant applications, then played some online chess at GameKnot.com, and had a nice chat while playing with a guy whose handle is limonbadgerfan -- he's from Limon, Colorado, but is living in San Diego now because he wanted to be near the ocean.

After he beat me, I wrote him a poem:



THE OCEAN

The government was bugging me.
I was gloomy.
CNN was on in the background.
A thing about guys getting killed
because other guys were mean.
I was playing chess
with a guy near the ocean.
I did this with my computer.
I told him the ocean’s
got a lot of water in it,
it’s full of fish.
After he checkmated me,
he walked out his door.
The ocean *was* full of water!
He waded in
and saw there were fish.
He ate them with French fries.
Later in the day,
he sliced up a lemon,
put it in a pitcher of water.
He refreshed all his friends.
When he slept that night,
the ocean peered through his window.

24 October 2005


Over and out.

3 Comments:

At October 27, 2005 6:28 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a lucky guy! gets to fulfill his dream of living by the ocean and gets a dreamy poem about it after a checkmate.

 
At November 03, 2005 11:16 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

french fries...yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. i like mine with tabasco, black pepper, curried mayo, and a view of english bay.

 
At December 15, 2005 1:18 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home