07 September 2005

I'll be back...

Now that the Revenue Canada monkey is off my hunched back, I'll be blogging again. I think I was paralyzed by the prospect of having to retroactively pay GST since 2002. Just spoke to a really nice guy at the GST agency and he agreed that I had been mistakenly registered. He has now deregistered me.

Phew!

Last night Michael Dennis phoned. He was on holiday for two weeks and wrote 60 poems. He read me a bunch of them; I especially liked one about Canonball Adderly. I have written one poem in the past month.

Recovery from Centauri took a while. It was a great time there, though, and they've invited me back for next year.

But this Revenue Canada thing: it's such a psychological relief, as well as a practical one. Already in the two hours since I spoke to the Good Guy, I've been incredibly productive.

Isn't there a Stephen Leacock story about a guy who's freaked out by money?

Over and out.

8 Comments:

At September 08, 2005 8:43 pm , Blogger Kate S. said...

I'm glad to see you back blogging, and very glad to hear that you're out from under the tax cloud. I have no trouble imagining how that sort of stress can stifle your productivity.

 
At September 09, 2005 2:03 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you drive a car,
I’ll tax the street,
If you try to sit,
I’ll tax your seat,
If you get too cold,
I’ll tax the heat,
If you take a walk,
I’ll tax your feet.
Taxman.
Yeah, I'm a badman.

 
At September 09, 2005 4:09 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course, we bitch about paying tax (waah waah poor me) but we sure do love those things tax brings us (all those who DON'T accept arts grants can sit down)

 
At September 09, 2005 4:33 pm , Blogger Razovsky said...

I don't normally respond to comments, as a policy, but the anonymous "Gooch" perhaps reads only what s/he wants to see.


I have no problem paying taxes, and yes, I happily accept grants. But I was mistakenly (Gooch missed this word) registered for GST internally by Revenue Canada -- I was barely halfway to the threshold at which one must collect and pay this tax.

After consulting with four different RevCan people, I finally managed to speak with a supervisor, who investigated the situation and saw that I was indeed mistakenly registered.

I found it amazing that the government admitted a mistake and fixed it.

 
At September 09, 2005 11:52 pm , Blogger GM said...

60 poems? Get that man a medal! Or an editor.

 
At September 10, 2005 2:19 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh come on, ya mean tha govment admitted a mistake...hot damn...now dat's cause for cellabration... new orleans style...beads n booze n music n hot damn even screwin's tha order of tha day...crongrats to yu n yr lawyer mister stew. yu deserve a medal 4 sumthing.

 
At September 10, 2005 4:06 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The (not so) anonymous "Gooch" was actually responding to the anonymous "Jeff’s" banal riffing off the anonymous "Beatles" song and did not intend to insinuate that razovsky has a problem with the concept of paying taxes

 
At September 11, 2005 11:12 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

banal riffing?

gooch: think you and i need to take this outside...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home